Tuesday, August 26, 2008

You Really Need to Leave the House

Patrick McIlheran covers a post by Patrick Dorwin of the humor blog, Badger Blogger, in which is posted a video of a trip to Burlington Coat Factory where are found -- gasp -- Soviet era clothing and other items.

Two things: Mr. Dorwin did not go on the video expedition though Paddy Mac writes that he did. And two, Mr. Dorwin wondered in his blog whether the next fashion statement would be Nazi brownshirts ... Ku Klux Klan hoods. He did not point out anything probably still being out of bounds, again contrary to what McIlheran wrote.

Aside from an issue with accuracy (remember -- McIlheran is a shill, not a credentialed journalist), don't you think these people really need to get a life if this is what trips their trigger.

5 comments:

illusory tenant said...

Shocking, I tell you.

David Casper said...

Frankly, while I don't know if I'd wear one, to own something like this (if it were authentic) would be "neat" simply for its historical value.

But years ago I dated a girl who grew up in the Soviet Union. One night we were out and there was a young hipster wearing a Communist-era hat, and I asked her what she thought of it.

"If he knew what that hat stood for," she said, "he'd realize just how stupid he looked."

Actually, I paraphrase, as her English was a bit more broken.

Other Side said...

Well, what passes for style in this country is beyond me sometimes. Still, I can think of a lot of better things to do than stalk a Burlington Coat Factory outlet and worry myself to the point of actually making a video.

Their (Badger Blogger) self-importance grows by leaps and bounds.

One other thing, I saw a woman tonight with a Harley t-shirt. Her hometown was printed on it: Moscow, Russia. Nice lady. I noted she'd come a long way. She spoke English and answered "Da, just to ride Harley in Milwaukee."

Anonymous said...

Don't tell them I have and wear this shirt in public. Or my Beatallica (a rocking Milwaukee band) "Blackened the U.S.S.R." t-shirt.

Definitely don't tell them that I've been hypothesizing that Bush and Putin have been waging a low-level new cold cold war for several years now.

grumps said...

There are a lot more Russian Submariner's wristwatches on EBay than there ever were Russian submarines.